Monday, July 30, 2012

Cloud Nine

Yet again my hectic summer schedule has interfered with my blogging ability, and I am sure I have left oh so many of you checking frantically daily for a new post to arrive. Well, here it is! I have recently discovered Pintrest, and by that I mean I have recently become an active member. I had known about it all along but never really understood what the big to-do was until now. In the last few days I have discovered more blog-worthy recipes than I know what to do with. Looking through them was what inspired me to crank out a new entry despite the fact that I haven't had time to do so. So here I sit at work, blogging away yesterday's breakfast.

It was the picture of the recipe that first caught my eye. A light, fluffy pancake of sorts, with fresh fruits baked in, and topped off with a drizzle of honey. I could (almost literally) taste the summer flavors through the screen. Being a late July morning, it was the perfect time to recreate this summer breakfast. The recipe is called Honey Cloud Pancakes, and can be found here. They may look daunting, or maybe that was just me, nonetheless they are super simple to make. Next time I make this I won't even need to look at the recipe...and that may be as soon as tomorrow morning.



Here are my ingredients: Milk, flour, honey, vanilla, salt, 2 eggs (1 egg white and 1 whole egg) and fresh soft fruits. The original recipe used strawberries, peaches and blueberries and I didn't find any reason to make a change regarding fruits. After all, two thirds of them are my favorite fruits. In one bowl whisk the egg white until it becomes white and peaky. In a second bowl, mix the milk, flour, honey, salt, vanilla, and a whole egg. Then fold the egg white into the other ingredients using a metal spoon. I'm not sure why you are supposed to use a metal spoon but that's what the recipe said, so I figured its important and I should pass it on. At this point you'll want to have your fruit sliced up and ready to go because you're going to need it.


Melt 1 T butter in a 6 inch (oven safe) frying pan. The one I used probably wasn't oven safe at all, I got it for $4.99 at Winco. But the handle didn't melt and the pancake turned out just fine so this is the pan I'll continue to use. Anyway, melt the butter on the stove top and pour in the batter. Leave it on the stove for just a couple of minutes until you can see it starting to set up around the edges. At that point, sprinkle the fruit on top and pop it in the oven for 7 minutes. Once its done, it will have risen up a little bit and be a light golden color.

 

Because of the butter on the bottom it slides out really easily onto a plate. Drizzle some more honey on top and its ready to eat!


The name honey cloud was spot on. It was light, fluffy and not overly sweet, and barring the butter, it isn't half bad for you. The cool thing about this is that you can substitute any fruits or toppings you want to adapt it to the season. I plan on making this again multiple times this week. Its that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment